Panto costumes... yes the C word ...

So back in May the C word was discussed.... Christmas..... In May. 

A friend runs a local theatre group and needed some costumes so I offered to help.
- who doesn't love a random challenge?
- Christmassssss!!

So off I went with a note book... Cheshire cat..  striped... fur... purple .... black... (this was my note taking). So sat at home I sat and sketched some ideas out and before sharing them I worked out how I would make them.  I needed to be realistic in what I could and couldn't do.
Black and purple large stripped fabric doesn't seem to exist, especially on a budget. Neither does fur in those colours.

My solution was a simple one.  Buy black and purple and sew them together to make stripes... in slinky, stretchy, slippy lycra!

The fur was also easy but time consuming. I had to paint stripes and comb the fur until the paint dried. If you don't keep combing it it dries hard crunchy and flat. It took about an hour for each bit to dry enough that I could stop combing.

I used my go to sewing book, (sew your own activewear), to make the patterns for the top, fur chest and mits. I used a simplicity pattern for the stirrup tights and made up a pattern for the leg warmers.
The shorts were jeans I cut up, painted and patched.

I'm pleased how it turned out and hopefully so are the theatre group.

Bunny tail... this needed to be big and had to be attached to an existing furry suit.
I made a paper mache bowl which I covered with fabric.  I then stitched little loops of wool all over it until it looked fluffy and full.  It then was stitched onto the existing trousers.

Caterpillar genie.... this was a tricky one.
Green genie style caterpillar... including extra arms.

Comments

Popular Posts